Disney THE LION KING
IT IS TIME!
DISNEY’S LANDMARK MUSICAL THE LION KING TO PREMIERE IN HONG KONG THIS DECEMBER!
Over 95 million people worldwide have witnessed the phenomenon of Disney’s THE LION KING and finally Hong Kong audiences can share the experience.
Michael Cassel Group in association with Disney Theatrical Productions is proud to announce the international tour of Disney’s THE LION KING will premiere in Hong Kong at the end of the year. Presented locally by iMe Global Limited, the show will open from Wednesday, 18th December 2019 at AsiaWorld-Expo, Arena, specially set up in Theatre-Mode. The international tour, which is the 25th global production of Broadway’s award-winning musical, will be performed in English with Chinese surtitles.
“We’re thrilled to bring the world-renowned stage production of THE LION KING to Hong Kong,” said Thomas Schumacher, President & Producer, Disney Theatrical Productions. “Julie Taymor and her extraordinary creative team have realized a production of enormous scale, beauty and heart and I cannot wait for new audiences to join us.”
This international tour of THE LION KING premiered in Manila in March 2018 and has continued to break box office records everywhere it goes including Manila, Singapore, South Korea and Taiwan. With packed audiences on their feet every night in each city it plays, it is thrilling to announce news of the Hong Kong season which will no doubt be the talk-of-the-town event.
Michael Cassel, Producer and Chief Executive, Michael Cassel Group said: “This is the first time that THE LION KING will play in Hong Kong, an incredibly vibrant and dynamic global city. We’re thrilled that this wonderful international company, representing nineteen nationalities, will now share this phenomenal production with Hong Kong audiences.”
“THERE IS SIMPLY NOTHING ELSE LIKE IT” The New York Times.
THE LION KING is a one-of-a-kind majestic production that has established a new level of artistry for musical theatre from the staging, costumes and choreography, which are reminiscent of the vast savannahs of Africa and its distinctive animal characters. Hong Kong audiences will able to book from mid-May 2019 (details to be announced) with ticket prices starting from HK$ 399.
Special VIP and Corporate Hospitality Packages will be available. For details please contact: [email protected]
You can sign up to receive more information and be first-in-line to purchase tickets to experience the World’s #1 Musical, Disney’s THE LION KING at by logging on to,
Official website: http://lionkinginternational.com/
iMe facebook: https://www.facebook.com/imehongkong
iMe Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/imehongkong/
iMe weibo: weibo.com/ideamusic
ABOUT THE LION KING
After 21 landmark years on Broadway, THE LION KING continues ascendant as one of the most popular stage musicals in the world. Since its premiere on November 13, 1997, 25 global productions have been seen by more than 95 million people. Produced by Disney Theatrical Productions (under the direction of Thomas Schumacher), THE LION KING is the only show in history to generate six productions worldwide running 15 or more years. Performed in eight different languages (Japanese, German, Korean, French, Dutch, Spanish, Mandarin and Portuguese), productions of THE LION KING can currently be seen on Broadway; London's West End; Hamburg; Tokyo; Madrid; Scheveningen, Holland; South Korea and on tour across North America and Japan, for a total of nine productions running concurrently across the globe. Having played over 100 cities in 20 countries on every continent except Antarctica, THE LION KING’s worldwide gross exceeds that of any film, Broadway show or other entertainment title in box office history.
THE LION KING won six 1998 Tony Awards®: Best Musical, Best Scenic Design (Richard Hudson), Best Costume Design (Julie Taymor), Best Lighting Design (Donald Holder), Best Choreography (Garth Fagan) and Best Direction of a Musical. THE LION KING has also earned more than 70 major arts awards including the 1998 NY Drama Critics Circle Award for Best Musical, the 1999 Grammy® for Best Musical Show Album, the 1999 Evening Standard Award for Theatrical Event of the Year and the 1999 Laurence Olivier Awards for Best Choreography and Best Costume Design.
The show’s director, costume designer and mask co-designer Julie Taymor continues to play an integral part in the show’s ongoing success. The first woman to win a Tony Award for Direction of a Musical, Taymor has in recent years supervised new productions of the show around the world.
The Broadway score features Elton John and Tim Rice’s music from The Lion King animated film along with three new songs by John and Rice; additional musical material by South African Lebo M, Mark Mancina, Jay Rifkin, Julie Taymor and Hans Zimmer; and music from "Rhythm of the Pride Lands", an album inspired by the original music in the film, written by Lebo M, Mark Mancina and Hans Zimmer. The resulting sound of THE LION KING is a fusion of Western popular music and the distinctive sounds and rhythms of Africa, ranging from the Academy Award®-winning song “Can You Feel the Love Tonight” to the haunting ballad “Shadowland”.
The book has been adapted by Roger Allers, who co-directed The Lion King animated feature, and Irene Mecchi, who co-wrote the film’s screenplay. Other members of the creative team include: Michael Curry, who designed the masks and puppets with Taymor, Steve Canyon Kennedy (sound design), Michael Ward (hair and makeup design), John Stefaniuk (associate director), Marey Griffith (associate choreographer), Clement Ishmael (music supervisor) and Doc Zorthian (production supervisor). Anne Quart serves as co-producer.
For more information worldwide, visit LionKing.com
Event Dates and Times
- 18 December 2019 (Wed) 7:45 PM
- 19 December 2019 (Thu) 7:45 PM
- 20 December 2019 (Fri) 8:00 PM
- 21 December 2019 (Sat) 2:30 PM
- 21 December 2019 (Sat) 8:00 PM
- 22 December 2019 (Sun) 1:00 PM
- 22 December 2019 (Sun) 6:00 PM
- 24 December 2019 (Tue) 5:00 PM
- 25 December 2019 (Wed) 3:00 PM
- 26 December 2019 (Thu) 1:00 PM
- 27 December 2019 (Fri) 8:00 PM
- 28 December 2019 (Sat) 2:30 PM
- 28 December 2019 (Sat) 8:00 PM
- 29 December 2019 (Sun) 1:00 PM
- 29 December 2019 (Sun) 6:00 PM
- 31 December 2019 (Tue) 5:00 PM
- 01 January 2020 (Wed) 2:30 PM
- 02 January 2020 (Thu) 7:45 PM
- 03 January 2020 (Fri) 8:00 PM
- 04 January 2020 (Sat) 2:30 PM
- 04 January 2020 (Sat) 8:00 PM
- 05 January 2020 (Sun) 1:00 PM
- 05 January 2020 (Sun) 6:00 PM
- 07 January 2020 (Tue) 7:45 PM
- 08 January 2020 (Wed) 7:45 PM
- 09 January 2020 (Thu) 7:45 PM
- 10 January 2020 (Fri) 8:00 PM
- 11 January 2020 (Sat) 2:30 PM
- 11 January 2020 (Sat) 8:00 PM
- 12 January 2020 (Sun) 1:00 PM
- 12 January 2020 (Sun) 6:00 PM
Arrangement for Seating Zone
- Audiences are encouraged not to bring bags/backpacks to the event hall. Express Lanes for admission are available for audiences NOT carrying bags/backpacks.
- All audiences are required to go through handheld metal detector checking before entering the event hall (if applicable).
- For audience who would like to re-enter the venue, please present the re-entry token together with the original concert admission ticket to our admission staff. AWE reserves the right to amend the admission procedures from time to time.
Platinum: $1399 (The Platinum Ticket includes a Souvenir Programme. Please note the redemption detail will be announced by iMe Global Limited in mid-November 2019 on its facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/imehongkong)
Seated: $1099 / $899 / $699 / $599 / $399
Multiple of 4*: $3300 / $2600 / $2200
Full-time Student aged 25 or below with valid ID.*: $799 / $599 / $499
* With limited quota and applicable for Tue-Thu & Sun evening shows, except 24, 25, 31 Dec 2019 & 1 Jan 2020.
Priority Booking for American Express cardmembers:
Priority booking period: 14-29 May 2019, 10:00am-11:59pmTickets are only available at HK Ticketing booking hotline and website. For booking, please call (852) 31 288 288 or visit www.hkticketing.com.
(Public sale starts from 30 May 2019, 10:00am onwards): Tickets are now available from HK Ticketing (HK Ticketing's Box Offices, D‧Park, K11 Select & Tom Lee Music Stores). For booking, please call (852) 31 288 288 or visit www.hkticketing.com
- Unauthorised photography, filming or recording is strictly prohibited in the event hall. Bag searches will be conducted prior to entering the event hall. Bags bigger than the dimensions of 38 cm X 30 cm X 20 cm (i.e. 15 inches X 12 inches X 8 inches) as well as all professional cameras, video/voice recorders and stools/folded chairs are not allowed in the event hall. Please place restricted article(s) at the Concierge or self-service lockers at the Ground Floor Level.
- All tickets must purchase from official ticketing agents. Defaced, damaged, copied or otherwise altered tickets will not be entertained.
- All tickets are non-refundable or non-exchangeable. Each ticket admits one (1) person only, subject to any age restrictions set by the organiser. Reissues for lost free seating or standing tickets cannot be processed under any circumstances.
- For safety reason, selfie stick is prohibited in AsiaWorld-Expo.
- The recommended age is 6 or above. Children under 3 years of age will not be admitted.
- Smoking is prohibited in AsiaWorld-Expo.
- No outside food and beverage is allowed in AsiaWorld-Expo.
- No glass bottles, inflated objects that are lighter-than-air in any kinds of materials (i.e. balloons), hazardous materials , weapons, aerosol cans and any sharp objects is allowed inside the event hall.
- Possessing or using any illegal drugs is prohibited inside AsiaWorld-Expo.
- Selling or distributing unauthorized merchandise or other items is strictly prohibited within AsiaWorld-Expo.
- No standing on chairs.
- Possessing and using fireworks, pyro or laser device is prohibited.
- No remote-controlled aerial device or toy is allowed (e.g. model helicopters or drones).
- Performance may contain strong and strobe lighting and smoke, please inform any medical staff or security of AsiaWorld-Expo, if feeling unwell or any assistance is needed.
- No ticket scalping is allowed. AsiaWorld-Expo Management Limited and the event organiser reserve the right to void any ticket if it is used, resold, shared or used for any commercial purposes or association.
- Latecomers may only be admitted during a suitable break in the event. However, admittance is not guaranteed due to lateness.
- No animals are permitted in AsiaWorld-Expo except registered guide dogs upon obtaining prior written consent of AsiaWorld-Expo Management Limited.
- The ticket holder agrees to abide by the applicable rules and regulations of AsiaWorld-Expo, event organiser and the official ticketing agent, as amended from time to time without notice, and use of this ticket by the ticket holder shall be deemed as express acceptance of same.
- AsiaWorld-Expo Management Limited and the event organiser reserve the right to have the final decision in case of any disputes.
- If there is any inconsistency or ambiguity between the English version and the Chinese version of this Notice, the English version shall prevail.